Background

Monday, February 21, 2011

Patterns

I have to admit that I collect sewing patterns.  This weekend Joann's had Simplicity patterns for 5 for $5.  Between Yvonne and me, we bought about 30, and the sale is still on today!  Who knows, we may make it over there again to pick up a few more.
I think this addiction started when I was a small child.  My mom always sewed.  With three daughters and not much money, I think she pretty much had to.  She taught me to make clothes for a little doll I had.  She was only about six inches tall and her arms and legs didn't move, so making clothes for her had its own challenges.  Still, I made some.  One Christmas, I was given a little sewing machine with a hand crank and I was able to use that to make them instead of the Pffaf that mom had.  I don't think I used it until I was probably in middle school.
Anyway, I started this saying I collect patterns then went off on a tangent about sewing without them.  Let's get back on course.  When I was 11, I received my last doll as a gift.  Sweetie is (I still have her) a baby doll about the size of a newborn baby.   Here's a picture of Sweetie with Yvonne that was taken shortly after we brought Yvonne home from the hospital.  Mom made some clothes for Sweetie, but I made some, too (including the dress she had on in the picture).  As I recall, there was a raffle at Grange that mom made baby doll clothes for, and that was why she had bought the pattern I used.  That pattern has been reissued and is available again now, probably half a centry later.  I love the retro patterns!
My pattern collection includes lots of patterns for doll clothes, from Barbie's (which I detest: it's nearly impossible to make clothes that fit those improbable dimensions.), baby dolls like Sweetie, 14 inch dolls like Yvonne's Mandy and Mike, to 18 inch dolls like the American Girl collection.  These last are my favorites to sew.  The seams are short so it doesn't take long to make any of them.  They don't take much fabric, and can be made to match a child's outfit from just scraps.  I must have nearly twenty patterns for this size doll!  A bit excessive, but you never know when you will need a specifc pattern and it's nice to have it on hand.  Of course, at this point in time I don't have them organized so I can find which one I want, but that will happen.
Besides doll patterns (both for clothes and for dolls themselves, like Raggedy Ann and Andy - I made those for Yvonne when she was two), I have plenty of others.  Lots of patterns for children's clothes from baby to adulthood, many for myself, with many that I have purchased but never taken out of the envelope.  Don't take me wrong, I've made myself lots of clothes over the years from the simple A-line jumper to my wedding dress, but I wouldn't be able to house all my clothes if I had used all the patterns I've bought.  Then there are the home dec, accessory and craft patterns.  I'm sure I could fill up one of those drawered cabinets like they have in fabric stores.  As it is, I have boxes of patterns all over the house.  Yvonne especially enjoys finding ones from the seventies which she looks at as retro.  Oh, well, what goes around...
Anyway, I collect patterns.  That is one of my collections.  Another time I'll write about one of my other collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment